Friday, September 30, 2011

The mackerel run

I happened to find myself down on the waterfront this afternoon, and saw something quite amazing.  Well, maybe it was only amazing to me, because no one else seemed to be paying any attention to it.  


IMGP7570.jpg





You can just make them out in the photo above.  At first I thought it was just a school of them, but as I continued down along the waterfront, I realized that they were everywhere along the waterfront.  Mackerel, lots of mackerel.


mackerel

The water was boiling with fish, and no one else seemed to notice or care.  I of course have only seen things like this on TV, usually on some BBC documentary hosted by David Attenborough.  I've seen schools of fish while scuba diving, but never anything on this scale!  And in the Halifax Harbour of all places!  The very same harbour where raw sewage was still routinely being discharged into as recently as 2000.  There's actually life in there?! Real fish even!  Not horribly mutated fish-like creatures with two heads and three eyes, but actual real fish!


lots of mackerel


It's almost enough to make this pessimist think that there might just be a little hope left in this world yet. 

No comments: